The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

INEC ad-hoc staff protest in Calabar

Related

Crisis has rocked the INEC office in Calabar following the alleged exclusion of names of adhoc staff from the master list.

As at 7.30am yesterday, thousands of ad-hoc staff comprising serving and ex National Youths Service Corps members and students who where shortlisted as ad-hoc staff for the postponed Presidential and National Assembly elections protested the removal of their names from the list without their consent. They said hundreds of people who were initially shortlisted, as adhoc staff have been told to go home, as their services were no longer required for the rescheduled elections without any reason.

They also alleged that names of new people who didn’t participate in the INEC training for Presiding Officers, APOs were allegedly inserted to replace them. Unlike last week where INEC published names of the adhoc staff on Thursday ahead of movement on Friday, names of the shortlisted people to conduct the elections were just published this morning. Trouble started when the shortlisted adhoc staff were asked to board the buses provided by INEC to convey them to their respective places of assignments.

At a point the protest turned violent as Police used teargas to disperse the protesters. The protesters blocked the entrance to the Commission’s office insisting that they won’t leave until their names are shortlisted or compensated for the stress they passed through last weekend. Top sources in INEC said the swap in names might not be unconnected with a deliberate attempt to rig the election.


In this article:
2019 ElectionsINEC
Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet