Close button
The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Kaduna government imposes 24-hour curfew on troubled communities as violence escalates


Scene of a recent violent attack

The Kaduna State government has imposed a 24-hour curfew on Kwaru and Ungwan Yero, two communities affected by violence. This extends the 7:00p.m. to 7:00a.m. curfew earlier imposed on the neighboring communities in Kaduna North Local Government Area.

The government, in a statement by Governor Nasir El-Rufai’s spokesperson, Samuel Aruwan, said the decision was taken after a review of the security situation in the communities. Residents of the two communities were enjoined to comply with the directive, as security agencies have been directed to vigorously enforce the curfew, Aruwan said.

The extension of the curfew followed a fresh attack by suspected gang members on Sunday evening. They went on rampage in Malali, a neighbouring community to Kwaru-Unguwar Yero, Kaduna, attacking residents.The violence is believed to be gang-related with residents saying the attackers were from Badarawa, and that they attacked residents of Unguwan Gado in Malali area of the state.


Umma Dauda, a resident of the area, said the gang came in revenge of the killing of one of its members. Another resident, Adamu Malam, told newsmen that he saw two people who were in a pool of blood while others ran for their lives.However, a member of the Kaduna vigilance group who was at the scene, said the attackers were dispersed and some arrest s made by the police. The police are yet to speak on Sunday’s violence.

The latest incident occurs few days after two people were killed in violence in Kwaru and Unguwar Yero communities. Both communities are close to the scene of today’s violence.Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, visited families of the victims and thereafter declared the initial dusk to dawn curfew in the two communities.

This is coming just as the wife of Hosea Akuchi, a clergyman murdered by suspected kidnappers, has regained freedom six days after her abduction. Talatu Akuchi was released unhurt on Saturday night according to the police.

The Kaduna State Police Command Public Relations Officer, Yakubu Sabo, confirmed her release on Sunday evening. According to him, she was released at night at an undisclosed location in the state.

“The wife of the murdered Reverend Talatu was released unhurt on Saturday night and our men are still trying to arrest the criminals,” he said.Asked if any ransom was paid to the criminals, he said he was unaware. “I’m not aware of any ransom paid to the criminals before she was released. All I know is that she was released unhurt and we are working to arrest the criminals,” he said.

Sabo said the command was working hard to ensure that the kidnappers are arrested and brought to book.A source close to the victim’s family, who does not want his name mentioned, however said that a ransom of N500,000 was paid before her release. Akuchi, after her release, was taken to a hospital in the state, it was learnt. It would be recalled that Mr. Akuchi, who until his death was in charge of Nasara Baptist Church, Kaduna, was shot dead last Monday at his residence in Igabi Local Government Area of the state. His wife was then taken captive by the gunmen.

Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet