Close button
The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Newborn found dead with umbilical cord at dumpsite



Man dies after drinking herbs
Tears and lamentations shredded the quietness of a sleepy community yesterday as people gathered around a newborn baby with his umbilical cord still attached, who was found dead along Dibue road, Ikot Ekpene Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State.

An unknown lady had abandoned the baby boy after delivery, in a polythene bag by the road.

An eyewitness told The Guardian that he saw a young lady walking around the area pretending to drop waste by the dumpsite where the dead baby was found, saying he suspected the lady to be one that committed the inhuman crime.

“I saw a lady around here this afternoon, but I didn’t know what she left behind until she was gone,” he said


The baby was dead before passersby could notice the content of the bag.

Another onlooker who spoke with our correspondent lamented over how she has suffered for over five years after marriage without a child.

“Why didn’t she look for a childless woman like me and hand over this precious gift to? Why would any woman carry a child in her womb for nine months, only to abandon this bouncing baby boy after passing through labour pains?

“There are motherless baby homes all over, why didn’t she dump the baby in a manner he would not die, at least a needy woman would have had a chance to own the baby, what a world,” she wailed.

Meanwhile, a farmer identified as Johnson Adeyeye has been confirmed dead after he allegedly drank a liquid substance suspected to be herbs.

The victim, reportedly drank the herbs with some of his friends at a joint in joba village, near Ondo
Adeyeye reportedly sipped the concoction after he returned from farm, while his friends who were also farmers, joined him at the joint.

Few minutes after, the deceased became unconscious. He was said to have been given palm-oil and other local antidotes before to suppress the  trauma before being taken to a private hospital in the town where he later died.

A youth leader in the town, Anthony Akinbebije, expressed sadness on the death of Adeyeye.
Akinbebije said he had interacted with the deceased few hours before the news of his death came.

The Divisional Police Officer (DPO) in charge of Bolorunduro Police Division, Ade Olowo was not around but a senior police officer who spoke in confidence confirmed the death. He said police were investigating the report.

Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet