Nigeria records second death from coronavirus
Nigeria has recorded the second death from coronavirus, the minister of health, Osagie Ehanire, said on Monday.
“Till date, three persons have been discharged after successful treatment,” Ehanire said.
”But sadly, another fatality was recorded over the weekend in the person of a patient who had severe underlying illnesses.”
The country’s first death was confirmed on Monday 23rd March.
The deceased, Suleiman Achimugu, was a former managing director of Pipelines and Product Marketing Company.
The NCDC said 67 year old Achimugu returned home following medical treatment in the UK.
Nigeria has recorded 111 cases so far and eight people have recovered from the global pandemic.
In a bid to contain coronavirus in Nigeria, President Muhammadu Buhari, on Sunday night announced the shutdown of Lagos, the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) and Ogun State.
“Based on the advice of the Federal Ministry of Health and the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), I am directing the cessation of all movements in Lagos and the FCT for an initial period of 14 days with effect from 11:00 p.m. on Monday, March 30, 2020,” Buhari said .
The president said the government would use the “containment period to identify, trace and isolate all individuals that have come into contact with confirmed cases.
Over 33,000 have died while more than 520, 000 persons have so far been infected worldwide.
No comments yet