Close button
The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Couple, daughter die after inhaling generating set fumes in Imo


Generating sets fumes

Residents of Umuoparaemeka village, Ugiri in Isiala Mbano local government area of Imo State, yesterday woke up to the shock discovery of a couple, Lucius and Ngozi Iwunze with their daughter, Geraldine all dead. The deceased, who died in their sleep on Saturday night, were suspected to have been killed after reportedly inhaling generating set fumes.

Sources from the community told newsmen that an extended family member visited in the morning and noticed that the doors were still locked from inside. He was said to have knocked severally without any response, a development that heightened his anxiety, thereby attracting neighbours to the scene that eventually forced the door open.

Spokesperson of the Imo State police command, SP Orlando Ikokwu, who confirmed the incident, said the police have evacuated the bodies to the mortuary and commenced investigation. According to him, the Divisional Police Officer in the area led his men to the scene and found the lifeless bodies of the victims.

Ikokwu said: “A report was received at the Divisional Police Headquarters, Isiala Mbano LGA, about the mysterious death of three persons. In view of that, the DPO led a team of policemen to the scene and met the lifeless body of Chief Luscius Iwunze, Lolo Ngozi Iwunze and Geraldine Iwunze.

“However, preliminary investigation revealed that they died as a result of fumes (carbon monoxide) emitted from a power generating set. The bodies have been evacuated to a morgue, and the Commissioner of Police has ordered a full-scale investigation into the incident.”


In this article:
Orlando Ikokwu
Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet