Lagos govt begins demolition of structures adjoining collapsed Ikoyi building tomorrow
Lagos State Government has said that it will start pulling down three edifices still under construction at the site where a 21-storey building collapsed in Ikoyi, Lagos.
It said that the exercise would start tomorrow, June 16, 2022 and be completed within three to six months. Commissioner for Special Duties and Inter-governmental Affairs, Tayo Bamgbose-Martins, who disclosed this, yesterday, said that the buildings would be demolished using non-explosive method.
He said the demolition of the structures would minimally impact the buildings and persons living close to the site.
Bamgbose-Martins, however, sought the support of residents for a successful completion of the demolition, maintaining that the three buildings pose dangers to those living within the area, reason to pull them down.
Also speaking, the Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Dr. Idris Salako, said the site would be handed over to the consultant that would pulled down the buildings to take full charge of the location.
Managing Director, Edge of Design, Mr. Theophilus Lewo, whose company had been contracted for the exercise, said the company would be deconstructing the buildings and not demolition.
Get the latest news delivered straight to your inbox every day of the week. Stay informed with the Guardian’s leading coverage of Nigerian and world news, business, technology and sports.