Grief enveloped Owolake community in Ogbomoso on Friday as family members, friends, colleagues and sympathisers gathered to bid farewell to Mr Adesiyan Joel Adegboye, the teacher killed during last week’s deadly attack on schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.
Adegboye, 49, was laid to rest at his residence after a funeral service held at Ayegun Baptist Church, Ogbomoso, amid tears and calls for justice over the attack which has heightened fears over insecurity in parts of the state.
The deceased was among victims of the coordinated assault carried out by armed hoodlums who reportedly invaded the area on motorcycles, attacking Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota; Community Grammar School; and L.A Primary School, Esiele.
The incident left several persons dead, while scores of pupils, students and teachers were abducted. Among those reportedly kidnapped was the Vice Principal of one of the affected schools, Mrs Alamu Folawe.
At the funeral service, the atmosphere was sombre as tributes poured in for the late teacher, described by many as dedicated, humble and passionate about education.
Delivering a sermon, the presiding minister, Rev. Paul Olaleye of Ayegun Baptist Church, urged the bereaved family to take solace in God, noting that death remains inevitable for all mankind.
“Life is fragile and unpredictable. We must always be prepared because no one knows when death will come,” he said.
An elder brother of the deceased, Sangotoye Olaolu Oyegun, described Adegboye’s death as a painful loss to the family, church and community.
“He was a pillar of support and a source of pride to the family. His impact cannot be forgotten,” he said, while demanding justice and urging security agencies to apprehend those behind the attack.
The Chairman of the Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT), Oyo State chapter, Hassan Ajibola, in a tribute, described the deceased as a peace-loving and selfless teacher who served with dedication and sincerity.
According to him, Adegboye was admired by colleagues for his simplicity and commitment to service, adding that his death has created a vacuum within the teaching profession and the union.
“Death may have taken him away physically, but the legacy of education, kindness and service he left behind will continue to live in our hearts,” Ajibola said.
Meanwhile, the Oyo State Police Command said investigations and rescue operations were ongoing following the attack.
The Command’s spokesman, Olayinka Ayanlade, confirmed that the attackers abducted several pupils, students and teachers after simultaneously invading the schools.
He clarified that no pupil had been confirmed killed during the incident, but noted that two teachers and an okada rider lost their lives.
According to him, six suspects believed to be informants to the abductors have so far been arrested by joint security operatives comprising the police, military, Amotekun Corps, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, and Agro-Rangers.
The suspects, he said, were tracked through telephone communications allegedly linked to the movement of the abductors within forest areas around the communities.
Ayanlade added that tactical teams and intelligence assets had been deployed to the affected areas to facilitate the rescue of the victims and restore public confidence.
Governor Seyi Makinde had earlier disclosed that some security operatives sustained injuries during rescue efforts, while one Amotekun operative remained in critical condition.
The governor assured residents that the state government would continue to support security agencies and intensify efforts aimed at securing the release of the abducted victims.
He also stated that the government remained open to dialogue where necessary to ensure the safe return of the schoolchildren and teachers.
The incident has drawn widespread condemnation from traditional rulers, religious leaders and socio-political groups across the South-West.
The Olubadan of Ibadanland, Oba Rashidi Ladoja, described the abduction as disturbing and urged citizens to support government efforts at tackling insecurity.
Similarly, the Alaafin of Oyo, Abimbola Owoade, called for improved intelligence gathering and stronger security mechanisms to prevent further attacks on schools and communities.
Pan-Yoruba socio-political organisation, Afenifere and Yoruba Council of Elders (YCE) also expressed concern over the worsening security situation, urging governments at all levels to take urgent and decisive action against criminal groups operating in the region.
Follow Us on Google News
Follow Us on Google Discover