Close button
The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

NSE faults Imo government for rehabilitating two roads with N55b

Related

Uzodimma lifts curfew, cautions against protests

Technical Secretary of the Imo State chapter of the Nigeria Society of Engineers (NSE), Kingsley Onwubiko, has faulted Governor Hope Uzodimma’s approval and award of contract for the reconstruction of two roads covering 92kilometres with N55b.

x

In line with the provisions of the Procurement Act, the state government paid 15 per cent mobilisation fee for the job, with 100 per cent funding from the government’s coffers spanning 18 months.

Uzodimma had performed the flag-off ceremony of the 37km Owerri-Orlu Road and 55km Owerri-Okigwe Road on Monday at Banana junction and Okatankwu with Craneburg Construction Engineering as the contractor.

The governor had earlier signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Julius Berger Construction for the reconstruction of the roads but cancelled the project without explanations.

Speaking on the “We The People” programme in an Owerri-based Ozisa FM, yesterday, Onwubiko, said it was wrong for Uzodimma to spend the federal allocation on the construction of only two roads, instead of spreading projects to other parts of the state.

x

He wondered why a state that receives only N5b monthly allocation would spend N55b in 18 months without borrowing, asking if the state government would be able to pay salaries, pensions, and provide other infrastructure.

“The Special Adviser to the governor on Special Projects should be sacked for advising the governor to embark on the two projects. If the state government spends between N5b and N10b, the erosion problem in Njaba (Orlu Road) would have been resolved.

He said another N10b would have been spent in the other senatorial districts, adding that with N5b each, the most critical roads in those places would be fixed to aide the movement of Imo people during the Christmas.

MEANWHILE, Governor Uzodimma has ordered the lifting of the 24-hour curfew imposed on the 27 council areas in the wake of the #EndSARS protests that resulted in violence in some parts of the state.

x

He had relaxed it two weeks ago to between 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.

A statement issued by his Chief Press Secretary and Media Adviser, Oguwike Nwachuku, disclosed that the governor gave the directive after reviewing security reports.

He advised Imo residents to go about their lawful businesses without fear of intimidation and harassment, adding that any person or group of persons wishing to protest should obtain permission from the Commissioner of Police (CP) before embarking on demonstrations.

x

Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet