Close button
The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

One killed, two hospitalised in Kaduna bomb explosion


FIle Photo: Explosion PHOTO: Shutterstock

Police in Kaduna yesterday confirmed the death of one child, and two seriously wounded in a bomb explosion planted by terrorists at the heart of the city.
Spokesperson for the command, ASP Muhammed Jalige, said that on July 3, 2021, about 1615hrs, there was an explosion at Shagari Close, Badarawa, Kaduna as result of a suspected Improvised Explosive Device concealed in three bottles of popular children’s juice (Viju Milk).
Jalige, in a statement yesterday, said: “Three children picked up the bottles on ground, which, unknown to them, contained explosive substances, used them as football, as a result, the two bottles exploded, injuring the three children.
He listed the names of the children as Abubakar Aminu, Abubakar Abdullahi and Abdullahi Abubakar.
“The victims were, however, rushed to Barau Dikko Teaching Hospital for treatment where unfortunately, Abubakar Aminu died owing to injuries he sustained from the explosion. Abubakar Abdullahi was treated and discharged while Abdullahi Abubakar is still receiving treatment.”
Jalige added: “Normalcy has been restored, the scene of the incident is under investigation. The Command’s Explosive Ordnance Department (EOD) is carrying out a holistic forensic analysis of the device as effort is on to unveil and possibly apprehend the perpetrators of the act.
“The command is hereby assuring the people of Kaduna metropolis and environs that there is no course for alarm as the situation is under firm grip of security agencies while the public are advised to go about their normal business and to report any suspicious object or persons to the nearest police formation for prompt action.”


Also, Jalige stated that “in the early hours of 4th July, 2021, about 0130hrs, suspected armed bandits in large number attacked the Divisional Police headquarters, Saye Zaria Local Government Area of Kaduna State in an attempt to overrun the officers on duty, but met with a stiff resistance from the officers who were at alert as of the time of the attack.
“There was a heavy exchange of fire between the bandits and the police personnel on duty but the superior tactical and operational sagacity of the police forced the bandits to retreat and took to their heels some of whom with bullet injuries. Unfortunately, as at the same period some group of bandits attacked the National Centre for Tuberculosis and Leprosy Quarters in the same Saye community, with eight persons kidnapped.
“In the meantime, 23 empty shells and three live GPMG ammunition as well as 34 empty shells of 7.62x39mm ammunition were recovered from the scene.
“The command had so far reinforced the division with more tactical operatives from Operation Puff Adder II, Anti-kidnapping Unit and Police Mobile Force while IGP’s IRT and STS has been contacted for technical support with the mandate to ensure that the victims are rescued unhurt and possible arrest of the bandits to face the wrath of the law.”


Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet