Shiites threaten to sue Buhari, El-Rufai, others at ICC
The Islamic Movement of Nigeria (IMN), also known as Shiites, says it is dragging President Muhammadu Buhari and Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna to the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague over alleged genocide against its members.
The movement said that it was now 700 days that its spiritual leader, Sheikh Ibrahim El-Zakzaky, had been detained in defiance of a High Court judgment ordering his release.
In a statement yesterday in Kaduna by its spokesman, Mallam Ibrahim Musa, IMN said it was evident that Buhari was running a fascist government, alleging massive killing and detention of Shiites with no regard to the rule of law.
He said: “As of today, the government of Buhari has not arrested a single person among those who killed members of the IMN for these serious crimes.“It has shown obvious unwillingness to appropriately prosecute the perpetrators of this genocide. It only seeks to further protect them and even further perpetrate more crimes.
“We are prepared to take all necessary legal ways to seek redress. In the international scene, we shall proceed to urge the prosecutor at the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague to indict President Muhammadu Buhari, Governors Nasir El-Rufai and Umaru Ganduje, General Yusuf Buratai and all others who meticulously planned and executed the Zaria genocide and are actively perpetuating it.”
Musa went on: “It is now 700 days since the unwarranted detention of our leader, Sheikh Ibraheem Zakzaky, his wife, Zeenah, and hundreds of other members of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria in various detention centres.
“That was sequel to the cruel attack by the Federal Government using its military might in an attempt at exterminating the movement, its leadership, membership and properties. As we are all aware, since that murderous weekend of December 12, 2015, we are still looking for justice on the matter.”
No comments yet