Tears as 17-year-old dies of electrocution in Lagos
IKEDC promises to investigate incident
It was a shattered dream for Funmilayo Oseni, as hope of seeing her son, Fawaz Oseni, fulfill his destiny was dashed. The 17-year-old boy was electrocuted on May 26, 2023.
Oseni, a resident of Lawal Street, Oregun, Ikeja, Lagos, was playing football at No.8 Lawal Close, in front of Leeland Schools, Oregun, when the ball fell on the roof of the house.
The SSS 3 student attempted to retrieve the ball but was electrocuted. The Guardian learnt Oseni alongside another boy went for the mission, but his colleague was lucky to survive the incident.
However, the case was not reported to the police or officials of Ikeja Electricity Distribution Company (IKEDC) before the deceased was hurriedly buried.
Investigation showed that the electrocution might be as a result of illegal electrical connections in the area. The Guardian learnt that when electricity testers were placed on the wall, they showed voltage and discharged electric shock, especially during rainfalls without being rectified.
Narrating the incident, Funmilayo, the deceased’s mother said: “That fateful day was the first time the children played football in the compound.
“The boys kicked the ball on the rooftop and it got stuck, they carried an aluminum ladder in an attempt to retrieve the ball. My son was shocked while on the ladder and he started crying for help, no one could help him, but someone got there to pull the hand of his friend.
“His friend, who held the ladder when my son climbed the ladder told me that Fawaz was not putting on shoes when he climbed, but he was wearing one.”
She added: “When Fawaz’ s younger brother called me and said, ‘Mommy!!! Come and see Fawaz, I ran there and saw them both on the floor. I called for help and neighbours came with water to resuscitate them, but the way I saw him, I knew that he had given up the ghost.
“We bought milk and forced it down their throats, while the other boy swallowed his, my son could not. We rushed them to Divine Hospital, where my son was confirmed dead by the doctor on duty. That is how I lost my 17-year-old son.”
She lamented: “The people continue using the light unbothered. The wife of the owner of the house came along with her daughter-in-law; none of the children of the owner of the building came to visit me. My brothers-in-law came around and were angry, they disconnected the light on Sunday, May 28, 2023, and warned them not to reconnect it.”
When contacted, Chairman, Ikeja Electricity Distribution Company (IKEDC), Kola Adesina, said the case was never reported to the Distribution company (DisCo), but promised to deal with the situation.
Giving update on the incident, he said: “We went there immediately on Monday and we discovered that they have been stealing electricity in that area, there was also wrong connection.”
Also, spokesperson for Lagos State Police Command, Benjamin Hundeyin, said the matter was not reported to the Command and advised Lagosians to always report such incidents to the police for effective investigation.