Close button
The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

UN condemns deadly airstrike on Yemeni school

Related

UN secretary general Ban Ki-moon / AFP PHOTO / OZAN KOSE

UN secretary general Ban Ki-moon / AFP PHOTO / OZAN KOSE

United Nations (UN) Secretary-General, Ban Ki-moon, has condemned an airstrike by the Saudi-led coalition in Yemen that killed 10 people on Saturday.

“The Secretary-General notes with dismay that civilians, including children, continue to bear the brunt of increased fighting and military operations in Yemen,” Ban’s spokesperson said in a statement, adding a call for a swift investigation.

Aid group, Doctors Without Borders, said the strike in Haydan hit a school and wounded another 28 people, and that all of the victims were between eight and 15 years old. It called on Yemen’s warring sides to “take greater measures to protect civilians.”

x

The Saudi coalition began its air campaign in March 2015 in support of Yemeni President, Abdu Rabu Mansour Hadi, whose government had been driven from the capital by Houthi rebels.

Rights groups have blamed both sides in the conflict of abuses, particularly in failing to protect civilians. UN-led peace efforts have failed to bring an end to the fighting.

A spokesman for the coalition told the French news agency at the weekend that the strikes hit a Houthi training camp and that Yemen’s government had confirmed there was no school in the area.


Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet