Thursday, 8th December 2022
<To guardian.ng
Search
Breaking News:

‘Desperate NFF board members want to scuttle AGM, election’

By Gowon Akpodonor
13 August 2022   |   4:05 am
Unless the Federal Government takes a decisive step, the much talked about General Assembly of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), scheduled for Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, on August 16, may not see the light of day.

Nigeria Football Federation (NFF)

Unless the Federal Government takes a decisive step, the much talked about General Assembly of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), scheduled for Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, on August 16, may not see the light of day. This follows an alleged underground moves from some ‘desperate’ board members to re-awake what an official described as ‘dead’ court order.

The NFF is expected to use the General Assembly in Yenagoa to announce the date and venue for the elections in September.

A source in the NFF told The Guardian yesterday that the ‘desperate’ officials had concluded plans to re-awake an old court order filed by Obiene Seigha, which prevented the federation from holding its AGM in Lagos last year.

“A majority of the board members in the NFF are jobless and they see the job as their only means of survival,” the source said. “Now, they are working desperately to bring back that ‘dead’ court order as a cover up to stop the AGM in Yenagoa from holding. If the AGM did not hold, it means no date and venue will be announced for the election.

“What these desperate NFF officials want to do is to tell Nigerians that there is an existing court order barring them from holding the AGM. The court order has been vacated, but these officials are saying that they have not been served and that they don’t want to be victim of contempt of court. The federal government has to move fast to save our football,” the source stated.

Another disturbing news came yesterday that the NFF President, Amaju Pinnick, has sent a letter to FIFA, seeking for the postponement of the election of the federation, which is scheduled to take place next month.

Pinnick’s letter to the World’s football governing body, allegedly signed by the federation’s General Secretary, Mohammed Sanusi, was said to have left on Wednesday. The NFF asked the world body to allow it to stage the forthcoming election in January 2023 and not this coming September.

According to an online publication yesterday, the letter was already sent to FIFA before the NFF top shots informed other board members, who were reportedly angry about the development.

The NFF Secretary General, Sanusi, did not pick the phone call put across to him by The Guardian yesterday.