Fury, Wilder’s rematch ‘to be announced on Monday’
The pair will meet for a second time after taking a share of the spoils in a controversial draw in December and will now have a chance to fight for a definitive result.
Fury was adjudged to have been unlucky not to win the WBC title in Los Angeles as Wilder clung onto the belt on home soil.
However, the Gypsy King will get another crack at the title with a second fight to be confirmed at the start of next week.
Fury is now said to be in the final stages of negotiations for a second fight, which is expected to take place in New York City on May 18.
‘We will be making an announcement on Monday,’ said Frank Warren, Fury’s representative, on talkSPORT. ‘Monday we will be in a position I hope where we can be announcing what the future is for Tyson.’
Both camps have been fine tuning the deal to prevent their fight for Wilder’s title going to rescheduled purse bids at WBC headquarters in Mexico City on Wednesday morning. Talks were delayed by discussion not only of the financial split but also the choice of venue.
Las Vegas was the first option but Fury’s insistence on three neutral judges – following the controversial draw in the first fight – is contrary to the preference of the State Athletic Commission there for Nevada officials.
Warren is understood to have been in New York finalising contracts with Wilder’s co-promoters Shelly Finkel and Al Haymon, with the fabled Madison Square Garden earmarked for May 18 and an announcement imminent.
The same city is pencilled in for Anthony Joshua’s defence of his collection of WBA, IBF, WBO and IBO heavyweight belts against Brooklyn-born Jarrell Miller.
Joshua’s US debut has been hastened by the commitment of Wilder and Fury to fight each other again and the refusal of Dillian Whyte to take over the Wembley Stadium date of April 13, which had been set aside for AJ’s next mega-night.
Joshua’s clash with the big-punching Miller was confirmed on Wednesday and has also been scheduled for Madison Square Garden, on June 1.