I’m not interested in witch-hunting anybody, says Kida
• FIBA Places Morocco On Standby For World Cup Qualifiers
President of Nigeria Basketball Federation, Musa Kida, has said that he won’t go out of his way to witch-hunt anybody despite alleged attempts by some individuals to tarnish his image in the ongoing crisis rocking the federation.
The NBBF has been engulfed in crisis, which prevented it from holding elections alongside other sports federations on September 30.
Kida stated yesterday that he won’t be part of the ‘dirty game of witch hunting’ his fellow Nigerian just because he wants to retain his position as NFFF President.
Speaking through one of his aides in Lagos yesterday, Kida said: “People who are close to me know very well that I am not the type of person who will bring down my fellow human being just because I want to retain my position. I want the Presidency and all well-meaning Nigerians to know the facts and the reasons why some people are fighting me. But they won’t succeed,” he said.
According to the aide, a recent attempt to embarrass Kida before members of House of Representatives Committee on Sports failed.
“They wanted to embarrass Kida by summoning him before the House of Representatives Committee on Sports to discuss issues relating to funding of basketball in the last four years. But their plans backfired.
“Musa Kida visited the Reps Committee on Sports where he presented documents with facts and figures. In the end, the committee members were shocked with the level of efforts and sacrifices he (Kida) has made in sponsoring and developing basketball in Nigeria. He was cleared of any wrongdoings or financial misappropriation and was told to continue with the good work he is doing for basketball. The House Committee has now realised that it is the Federal Government that owns Kida over N1billion and that they were being told big lies all along.
“During the proceedings, members of the House Committee were alerted to the fact that $2.2million was paid by kwese to sponsor the basketball league, and the money was collected by an individual in 2017.”
The money was never handed over to the incoming Kida board and did not reflect in any of the NBBF official bank accounts.
“The House Committee demanded proof of Kwese sponsorship be provided at the next sitting by 4 pm of the same day. But as Col. Sam Ahmedu waited to present the kwese documents to the House Committee members to prove that $2.2million was actually paid into the private account of the person (names withheld), one of the members got a telephone call saying that all matters relating to basketball had been thoroughly dealt with and concluded.
“Suddenly, the House Committee members changed the topic. They did not want to talk about basketball and monies because they realised that a big can of worms was about to be revealed. I am sure those fighting Kida will fail because FIBA does not recognise the task force or seven-man committee. As far as they are concerned, Kida is still the President of Nigeria Basketball Federation,” the aide stated.
Meanwhile, the basketball world governing body, FIBA, is said to have placed Morocco on standby to replace Nigeria in the first window of qualifiers for the 2023 World Cup, if the country fails to hold an election into the board of NBBF before November 30.