The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Joshua denies alleged panic attack, as trainer reveals plans for Ruiz Jr. rematch

Related

Mexican-American heavyweight boxing champion Andy Ruiz Jr (L) faces British boxing challenger Anthony Joshua (R) during a press conference ahead of the upcoming “Clash on the Dunes” fight between Ruiz Jr and Joshua in December, in Diriya on the western outskirts of the Saudi capital Riyadh on September 4, 2019. – The “Clash on the Dunes” is scheduled to take place in Diriya on December 7. (Photo by Fayez Nureldine / AFP)

Anthony Joshua, who is preparing for his attempt to retrieve his world boxing heavyweight championship belts from Andy Ruiz Jr. in December, has denied that he is suffering from a panic attack ahead of the battle in Saudi Arabia.

Joshua was sensationally beaten by Ruiz Jr at Madison Square Garden in June – his first defeat as a professional fighter and one that cost him the WBO, IBF and WBA world titles.

The defeat sent shockwaves around the boxing world and brought with it questions about Joshua’s coaching staff and preparation for the fight.

After reports surfaced that he had been mentally suffering ahead of the fight, Joshua quickly denied the idea on his YouTube channel, reports independent.co.uk.

“I had no panic attack, I’m not that type of person. I have to take my loss like a man, I’m not blaming any man or any thing,” Joshua said.

Joshua also dismissed the idea of replacing his head coach on ‘AJ: The Untold Truth’ on Sky Sports.

“Whoever said that is a clown. Part ways with McCracken? No way. These people don’t understand loyalty.”

McCraken yesterday confirmed that he would resume his role at the forefront of Joshua’s boxing team and has dismissed the possibility of making substantial changes to his preparation ahead of the rematch on December 7.

McCracken, Joshua’s head coach since 2016, dismissed suggestions that he has too much influence over Joshua’s training regime in an interview with Sky Sports.

“I think everybody just gets the wrong idea all the time. Lots of people have always worked with us in the camp.

“I’m the head coach, but I can’t do everything, so we’ve always had different people coming in who are good on the pads, who are good with movement, footwork drills whatever, so there’s a variety of people we use.”

After he came under fire following the defeat, 51-year-old McCracken told TheSportsman.com that suggestions he and Joshua could part ways were only natural given the nature of the sport.

“I think those comments are predictable.

“It’s nothing I care too much about. Me and Anthony have a great relationship, he doesn’t just train with me, he trains with a variety of people over the years, but I’m the head coach whilst he wants me to be head coach.”


Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet