Sunderland boss Moyes relishes return
Moyes had been out of work for eight months after being sacked by Real Sociedad last November, but the former Manchester United and Everton manager feels reinvigorated after returning to the Premier League.
The 53-year-old Scot was hired last month to replace Sam Allardyce, who left Sunderland to take the England job, and on Monday he held his first press conference in his new role.
Moyes’ reputation was tarnished by his nightmare spell at Old Trafford, which ended with his sacking after less than a season in charge of United, and his underwhelming spell in Spain.
But he is adamant his sabbatical has helped give him a fresh outlook and more insight into the keys to success at a club who have narrowly avoided relegation for the last two seasons.
“It was great to play golf and spend time with my family but this is what I do and I want to get back and get on with it,” Moyes said.
“I think modern management means that more managers will take breaks in their career with the way it is.
“I wouldn’t say I’ve been away from the game, I watched as much football as I can.
“I’ve been to watch training from other sides of the world and I’ve involved with UEFA a lot, whether it’s been watching the Euros or whether it’s been taking the Pro Licence coaches. I’ve been out but I’ve been busy.
“This has now got to be a building job. I’m here for four years and I want to bring a level of stability back to the club.”
Moyes remained tight-lipped on transfer rumours, which have included reports linking him with possible moves for Adnan Januzaj and Marouane Fellaini, who both player under him at United.
“If any of those good players want to join me I’d be happy to have them,” he said.
“They’re excellent players. We’re interested but I’m sure there’s a load of other clubs that are as well.
“You have to have a realistic view. There’ll be some players we can attract just now and some players we can’t.
“We have offers in for people already and we’re working hard.”
No comments yet