What is Fruitful? It means producing good results; producing many offspring; fertile and productive. To be fruitful is to originate an idea that will produce prosperity. It is by your fruitfulness that you bless the world.
There are three major categories of people on earth: Fruit maker (Producer), Fruit Seller (Retailer) and Fruit Eater (Consumer). Where you fall into these major categories determines your placement in the economy of life.
God gave man four imperatives of exercising dominion: Be fruitful, Multiply, Replenish and Subdue. To “be fruitful” is one of the genetic makeup of a man that empowers him to exercise dominion on earth. “Be” is a command to obey and not a suggestion. “Be” is a demand on potentials God had already deposited in man. When God says “be,” you must be. It is an imperative laid upon you. The instruction to be fruitful is actually a divine law!
You were designed to move, for progress, for multiplication, for relevance and influence. Since God commanded us to be fruitful, fruitfulness, then amounts to ‘keeping the law,’ and so creates happiness. Of course, when you are fruitful and productive, you experience a deep sense of fulfillment. “…but he that keepeth the law, happy is he” Proverbs 29:18b.
How many souls have you won for Christ since you became born again? You are not fruitful if you can’t point people you led to Christ. Are you a useful employee to your employer? Are you an asset or a liability? What kind of fruits are you bearing? Is your fruits bitterness, unproductive, lack of creativity, envy and jealousy? If it so, you are disobedient to God’s command.
Jesus attitude towards unfruitfulness is a curse because to “be fruitful” is not a suggestion, but a command you must obey and carry out. In Mark Chapter 11, Jesus approaching the Bethany was hungry. He saw a fig tree afar off and decided to go help himself with its fruits to quench His appetite. When He got to the tree, He found no fruits to eat but only leaves. Jesus cursed the tree and said, “No man eat fruit of thee hereafter for ever.”You can’t afford to be unfruitful in life, in ministry, in business, or in any other aspect of our lives.
What Kind of Fruits will I Produce?
• Fruit of the Womb: Psalm 127:3, “Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.” But this is not the only way you can be fruitful. A person who does not think can produce children. It is the law of nature. You don’t need effort to produce that. There are people who don’t have children, but are excessively fruitful. If you have more children without being productive in other aspect of life, it amounts to you not being fruitful.
• Fruit of Thoughts: This is birthing ideas that will solve human problems. Jeremiah 6:19a, “Hear, O earth: behold, I will bring evil upon this people, even the fruit of their thoughts.”
• Fruit of the Mouth: Fruitfulness also has to do with words. Preachers, Teachers, Public Speakers, etc., eat from the fruit of their mouth. Proverbs 18:20a, “A man’s belly shall be satisfied with the fruit of his mouth.”
• Fruit of the Hand: This is being fruitful with what you do (works of your hand), skills, profession, calling, etc. Proverbs 31:31, “Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.”
• Fruit of Character: This is the fruit of the Spirit. Character produces morals and ethical values. Gentleness is not a weakness, but strength. Ephesians 5:9, “For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth.”
God is honoured when you are fruitful. God gives more to the one who is fruitful (Mathew 25). God blesses fruitfulness.Today’s Nugget: To be fruitful is not a suggestion, but a Divine Law.
Prayer: Lord, help me to be fruitful in all areas of my life.
Prayer line: Send text only to 09078154261.
Dr. Chidi Okoroafor, General Superintendent, Assemblies of God Nigeria
No comments yet