The New Testament in His Blood
Memory Verse – 1 Corinthians 11:25, After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the New Testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
Bible Passage: 1 Cor. 11:23-26.
Testament here means covenant. A covenant creates an extremely powerful obligation, Is. 54:10. God will stand by His covenant with you and can even nullify evil covenants, Is. 28:14-18. A covenant is always sealed with blood. When Jesus shed His blood, He provided a means for us to enter into a new covenant with Him, while at the same time releasing us from the old. Holy Communion creates a new covenant between you and God.
There was, indeed, an old covenant between God and Abraham and his descendants, Gen. 17:9-14. Jesus created a new covenant with His Body, His bride, and His church. The implications include:
• The Christian enjoys forgiveness of all sins, 1 John 1:7.
• The Christian can enjoy total healing, 1 Pt. 2:24.
• Christians overcame the devil by the blood of the Lamb, Rev. 12:11. We can enjoy victory in all phases and spheres of life.
• Christians enjoy abundant supplies, 2 Cor. 8: 9, Phil. 4:19.
• Christians enjoy peace, John 14:27, Jn. 20:19, 21, 26.
• The Christian becomes a citizen of Heaven, Eph. 2:11-13; Rom.8: 15.
• Christians can now enter into the inner chamber of God Heb., 10:19-20.
Your Own Part
Jesus said in John 14: 21, 23 that if you want to stay in His covenant, you should obey His commandments and both He and His Father would pay you a visit. In 1 John 3: 16, He said since He laid down His life for you, you too should lay down your life for the brethren, Jn. 15:12-14. Go into the world and bring more people into the new covenant, a covenant of life that rescues from death, Mk. 16:15-20.
Blessings in the covenant with Jesus Christ are numerous, as long as you play your own part of the covenant. However, failure to live according to the terms of the new covenant can also have serious implications. It can be very dangerous for sinners to take the Holy Communion. Some fall seriously ill, while others actually pay the ultimate price. You will eat and drink to good health and long life in the mighty name of Jesus.