Gunman killed after opening fire near White House

United States President Donald Trump

A gunman was shot dead by United States Secret Service agents after opening fire near the White House on Saturday evening in an incident that also left a bystander injured, authorities said.

The shooting occurred shortly after 6:00 p.m. local time near the White House security perimeter while President Donald Trump was inside the presidential residence. Officials confirmed that the president was not harmed during the incident.

According to a statement issued by Secret Service communications chief Anthony Guglielmi, the suspect pulled a firearm from a bag and began shooting near the heavily secured area surrounding the White House.

“Secret Service Police returned fire striking the suspect who was transported to an area hospital where he was pronounced deceased. During the shooting, one bystander was also struck by gunfire,” Guglielmi said.

Authorities did not immediately disclose the condition or identity of the injured bystander. No Secret Service personnel were wounded during the exchange of gunfire.

US media outlets later identified the suspect as 21-year-old Nasire Best from Maryland. Reports indicated that the suspect had a history of mental health concerns and had previously interacted with Secret Service officials.

In a post on Truth Social early Sunday, Trump praised the response of security agencies.

“Thank you to our great Secret Service and Law Enforcement for the swift and professional action taken this evening against a gunman near the White House, who had a violent history and possible obsession with our Country’s most cherished structure,” the president wrote.

The incident triggered a massive security response in downtown Washington, with police officers and National Guard troops sealing off streets around the White House complex.
Eyewitnesses described scenes of panic as gunshots rang out.

“We heard probably 20 to 25 what sounded like fireworks, but they’re gunshots, and then everyone started running,” Canadian tourist Reid Adrian told AFP.

Journalists gathered on the White House North Lawn at the time of the shooting were reportedly instructed to run for cover and shelter inside the press briefing room.

ABC News correspondent Selina Wang, who was recording a social media video nearby, captured the sound of the gunfire before diving to the ground.

“It sounded like dozens of gunshots,” she wrote on X.

Saturday’s incident adds to a growing list of security threats involving Trump. The president has survived multiple alleged assassination attempts in recent years.

In April, an armed man reportedly breached a security checkpoint at a hotel hosting a media gala attended by Trump, although the suspect never got close to the president.

During the 2024 presidential campaign, Trump was also targeted at a rally in Butler, where a gunman killed one attendee and grazed the then-candidate’s ear.

Months later, another armed suspect was arrested near Trump’s golf course in West Palm Beach while the president was playing there.

Reacting to Saturday’s shooting, House Republicans commended the rapid response by security personnel.

“Thank God President Trump is safe. Endless gratitude to the Secret Service for their immediate, heroic response. Political violence has to stop,” the group said in a statement posted on X.

Trump has repeatedly cited security concerns as justification for ongoing renovations at the White House, including the construction of a new ballroom and underground facilities designed to enhance presidential protection.

Join Our Channels