The 2018 diary: October
October 1. Battle for Lagos deepens, Buhari meets with Tinubu, Akande
There were strong indications that the Lagos State gubernatorial primary billed for October 2. would be cancelled a fourth time, as the election monitoring committee and party big wigs in the state failed to agree on the mode of the exercise.
October 2. Confusion rocks Lagos APC governorship primary poll. The confusion around the Lagos State APC primary took a turn for the worse as the exercise was postponed the fourth time in a week and indefinitely.
October 3. Tinubu re-affirms control in Lagos as Ambode bows. Lagos State Governor Akinwunmi Ambode admitted defeat in the state’s gubernatorial primary, ending weeks of intrigues amid failure by the presidency to stave off the incumbent’s fate. Ambode was conciliatory, and congratulated Babajide Sonwo-Olu and urged Lagos residents to work towards the party’s victory in the 2019 general election.
October 5. Osun Election: Police throw tear gas at Secondus, Saraki, others during Abuja protest.
** World Teachers Day, Nigeria needs additional 250,000 teachers, says Buhari
October 6. Buhari re-assures on freedom for Leah Sharibu, others President Muhammadu Buhari assured on Leah Sharibu who was in Boko Haram captivity. Buhari also said his administration was committed to ensuring that all men and women held in captivity by terrorists regained freedom.
October 8. US recognizes three Nigerians as Mandela Washington Fellows The United States of America applauded three Nigerians Mandela Washington Fellows (MWR) for their outstanding contributions to the country in an effort to support social welfare. The awardees were Ugochi Obidiegwu, Onwuamaegbu-Uguru and Segun Fatudimu.
* Ambassador Akadiri dies at 89. Asiwaju (Ambassador) Oladele Akadiri, OON, passed on. He died in his sleep in Akure, aged 89.
October 10 Labour counters Ngige on new minimum wage
The organized labour and organized private sector insisted that all negotiations for a new minimum wage were concluded.
October 11 Obasanjo makes U-turn, says Atiku better than Buhari
October 13 NYSC member drowns in Bauchi one week to passing out
October 14 Govt to sell Ajaokuta, others for 2018 Budget .The Federal Government to offer more of its assets for sales.
October 15 Boko Haram kills another aid worker as deadline expires Hauwa Mohammed Liman, an aid worker with the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) was executed. She was reportedly forced to kneel with her hands tied behind her, and shot at close range Liman, Alice Loksha and Leah Sharibu were abducted by Islamic States’ West Africa Province (ISWAP), also known as Boko Haram.
October 16. EFCC detains Fayose as Fayemi threatens probe
* Shock, anger trail Boko Haram killing of aid worker. Hearts saddened by the shooting execution of Hauwa Liman received a fresh stab as heart traumatized parents rejected news of their daughter’s death
October 17. Train crushes team Nigeria boxer in Lagos .The Nigerian boxing community reacted with shocks and sadness to the death of a national team middle weight, Okosun Godwin, in a train accident in Lagos.
* Senate warns on debt trap, okays $2.9 billion foreign loan. The Senate warned the Federal Government to stop taking external loans, urging it to find other means of generating revenue internally, rather than throw the country into a debt trap.
*From EFCC custody, Fayose says Fayemi lied on N170 billion debt
October 18. Gunmen kill Ekiti APC treasurer.
Unknown gunman killed the treasurer of the All Progressives in Ekiti State, Moses Adeoye
October 19. Drugs made from infants’ flesh: NAFDAC to conduct surveillance at Ports, local markets
*Ooni of Ife unveils new wife, a prophetess .The Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi unveiled his new wife, Queen Morenike Naomi Oluwaseye .The queen aged 25, a prophetess founder of the Heralds Ministry, based in Akure, Ondo State.
October 20. Shehu Sani dumps APC
October 21. Labour begins indefinite wage strike November 6 .Unless the Federal Government announced a new minimum wage, organized Labour would embark on an indefinite strike from November 6, 2018
* Buhari, Omoghen, Arewa leaders mourn Kutigi Tukur. President Muhammadu Buhari condoled with the Kutigi family of former Lavun Local Government Council of Niger State, over the passage at 79 years old of their son and former Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN) Idris Kutigi in a London, United Kingdom ,hospital.
October 22. How Tinubu, Osoba rigged Ogun primaries, by Amosun Ogun State governor, Ibikunle Amosun, accused the national chairman of the APC, Adams Oshiomole, of colluding with a cabal in Lagos to write fake results, after candidate Amosun specifically pointed accusing fingers at APC national leader, Bola Tinubu and a former state governor, Segun Osoba.
* Disregard for rule of law worse than corruption, says US envoy
* Court awards N50 million to Charley Boy in judgment against Police
* Five-year-old twins burnt to death in mid-night fire.
October 23 .Outrage as Buhari avoids Lagos road, flies to Seme. President Buhari evaded the notorious Lagos to Badagry-Seme Road, flying instead on an aircraft to Seme for the official handover of the new Economic Community of West African State border posts in Badagry to the Republic of Benin counterpart, Patric Talon.
October 24. FEC okays N 8.7 trillion, 2019 budget Estimate
* Fayose gets N50 million bail in a N6.9billion alleged election camp campaign fraud suit
* Aliko Dangote named sixth most charitable person in the world
October 25. Agbakoba cautions Nigeria on trade relationship with China
October 26. Military uncovers open shallow grave of General, body still missing An open grave where the body of the missing Major-General Idris Alikali (rtd) was allegedly buried before it was exhumed and reburied in another place, was uncovered, while a specialist who facilitated the act along with others, was apprehended.
* Four Rev Sisters, lady were kidnapped by gun men in Agbor
October 27. 2023 Presidency, Fashola can’t decide our Fate – Ndigbo
* Enugu APC chair escapes assassination, Police aide shot
* Shiite alleges killing two members by Army
No comments yet