6 Basic Jogging Tips for Beginners
Keeping fit is one thing we all should take seriously and it doesn’t just entail eating right or dieting. Including the exercise element into your daily fitness routine is great but it should be done with you having the following tips in mind:
1. Ensure you see your doctor for a check-up or what is called a pre-exercise screening before you start a running program. Often times, a pre-exercise screening is carried out in order to identify people with medical conditions that may put them at a higher risk of experiencing a health problem during physical activity. It is also used to help decide if the potential benefits of exercise outweigh the risks for you.
2. As Lagos is typically a busy state, always ensure that your routes are planned carefully to avoid risks; stick to pedestrian walkways and residential environments. If possible, schedule your runs for either the early morning or the evening.
3. Dress appropriately. Wear loose cotton clothing and make sure your running shoes are your actual size.
4. Make sure you warm up and stretch thoroughly before you head out. Since you are doing this for the first time, you can start with brisk walking; aim to gradually increase your jogging time (30minute per session is fine) and alternate between walking and jogging.
5. Always ensure you take a water bottle with you on your run and it is advisable you drink plenty of it before, during and after any activity. After each jogging session, it is advisable to cool your body down with light stretches.
6. Rest! Allow at least two complete rest days per week to avoid overtraining, which may cause injury – muscle pull –and fatigue. You can also consider other low impact activities, such as swimming, at least once each week.