Access/Diamond Merger And Other Events In The Week
Worldwide, this holiday season pulled off a so-so surprise on many as people saw a coach lose his high-end job, acquisition and racism.
Here is a rundown of the week:
Wizkid On Mourinho Sack
Nigerian Afro-pop star Wizkid shaded Portuguese coach Jose Mourinho after he got sacked by his last employers Manchester United. Manchester United announced that Jose Mourinho has left the club, days after the team’s 3-1 loss to Liverpool.
After the news of his sack, the social media space went agog with many of the United fans, who were not pleased with Mourinho’s recent outings at the club.
While Wizkid was tweeting about his concert at Eko Hotel in Lagos, a Nigerian twitter user engaged him on the sack. Wizkid then replied saying, “E dey happen. Mourinho go dey Eko hotel tmrw,” Wizkid continued in a comical manner”.
Putin Wants Rap Out
1. In a wok, heat 1 tbsp oil on medium fire. Then add 1 clove of chopped garlic and sauté until aromatic. Finally, add in shrimp until just cooked (adjust heat during the process if necessary). Remove from wok and set aside.
2. In the same wok, heat up 2 1/2 tbsp oil on medium-high fire and sauté the shallots and the rest of the garlic until fragrant. Add carrots to the wok and cook for a minute or two until softened. Then, add red bell pepper and cook for another minute (adjust heat during the process if necessary).
3. Add the cold, cooked rice into the heated wok, along with the pineapple chunks, juice and raisins. Cook on medium-high fire, as you scoop, stir, flip, and press the rice to break up any clumps and to cook it evenly (see tip above).
4. Add curry powder, soy sauce, salt and white pepper (and belacan, if using), and stir-fry thoroughly on medium-high heat until the ingredients are well combined. Taste and adjust seasonings.
5. Throw in roasted cashews and the cooked shrimp. Crank the heat to high, and stir constantly to mix all the ingredients. Cook for just one minute.
6. Serve fried rice in pineapple shells. Garnish with spring onion, cilantro and/or sliced red chilies.
Russian President Vladimir Putin has shown concern at the growing popularity of rap music. Mr Putin said the three pillars of rap are protest, sex and drugs and that his main concern is the last two.
He made comments following the arrest of Russian rapper Husky whose concerts were cancelled. Mr Putin also stated that he was worried about bad language in rap, saying he had consulted a linguist about it.
Forever 21 And Wakanda
Less than a week after Prada was accused of pulling off a “Black Face” at a window display, Forever 21 has joined in the drama. Forever 21 used a white model to represent the Black Panther in a new merch.
A blond model posed with the merch which appears on “Forever 21s Wakanda Fair Isle Sweater”. After backlash from the Black Community, Forever 21 quickly apologised. “Forever 21 takes feedback on our products and marketing extremely seriously. We celebrate all superheroes with many different models of various ethnicities and apologize if the photo in question was offensive in any way.”
Sweet “Access” association
The news broke that Access bank merged with Diamond bank to the surprise of some Nigerians who didn’t see it coming. This is because Diamond bank has always seemed like a “strong” bank who many are of the opinion will rather acquire than be acquired.
While Access bank seemed like one of the financial institutions that people dismiss as a struggling institution despite its acquisition of Intercontinental Bank.
Ahead of the Christmas holiday, Forbes has released the 2018 richest celebrities list. In this list, Star Wars takes the lead as its creator George Lucas tops with $5.4 billion (N1,971,000,000,000).
According to Forbes, this is largely linked to the sale of his Lucasfilm production to Disney for $4.1 billion (N1,496,500,000,000) in 2012. Next in line is filmmaker Steven Spielberg and media mogul Oprah coming in third place.
Michael Jordan is fourth with $1.7 (N620,500,000,000) billion. Kylie Jenner and Jay Z land a tie with N328,500,000,000.