Fried Yam Recipe
Fried yam recipe is a deep-fried yam recipe that can be eaten with a wide range of Nigerian stews and sauces. It is fried in such a way that the outside of the chips is crunchy while the inside is moist. It is mostly used as a breakfast meal with fried egg, omelette, Tomato Fish Stew, Vegetable Sauce or oat meal.
White Yam – As much as you can eat.
Salt to taste
- Peel and cut the yam tuber into 1 inch cylindrical discs. Make several cuts across the discs to get large chips.
- Wash the yam chips and place in a bowl.
- Add a little salt and toss the contents to distribute the salt.
- If you are using a deep fryer, pour enough vegetable oil into the fryer as per the instructions manual and preheat the oil to 170°C. You can also use a pot to fry the yam chips. It is preferable to use a pot rather than a frying pan for this fried yam recipe because pots provide more depth for the frying process.
- When the oil is heated, add a few yam chips, leaving enough room for flipping the chips.
- Stir the chips till they have turned golden.
- Remove the chips and place in paper towels to absorb the oil.
- Fry the rest of the chips following steps 4 through 6.