The shawarma is to Nigeria what curry is to the English. A dish we’ve really much taken into our hearts and household. Today, I am sharing with you my homemade shawarma recipe. It might not be the authentic method you find in the streets, but it does the job, so I stick with it. This recipe always works well for me, so when I am out of town or just generally want to make my own shawarma, this is what I use.
It is sure to have you and all your guests asking for more. For this recipe, you will need the following:
- Shawarma flat bread
- 1lb skirt steak or beef of choice
- ¼ cabbage
- 2 sticks of carrot
- Black pepper
- Curry powder
- Season steak with salt, black pepper, curry
- and any other spices you desire.
- Grill steak on outdoor/indoor grill till
- done. If you do not have a grill, you can
- use a wok or an oven.
- When steak is done, cut in thin strips.
- Cut cabbage and carrots and add steak.
- In a bowl, mix a 50/50 amount of
- ketchup and mayonnaise (about 3 tbsps
- each), and then add into steak and veggie
- Combine and place on shawarma bread.
- Roll bread into wrap and grill in panini
- Enjoy shawarma alone or with some chips
- and other sides.