How To Make Nigerian Coconut Rice
28 February 2023 | 10:58 am
Nigerian Coconut Rice is a delicious and fragrant dish that's easy to prepare. Here's a recipe to make Nigerian Coconut Rice: Ingredients: 2 cups of long-grain rice 1 can of coconut milk (400ml) 1 cup of water 1 onion, chopped 2 cloves of garlic, minced 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil 1 tablespoon of curry powder…
Nigerian Coconut Rice is a delicious and fragrant dish that’s easy to prepare. Here’s a recipe to make Nigerian Coconut Rice:
- 2 cups of long-grain rice
- 1 can of coconut milk (400ml)
- 1 cup of water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of curry powder
- 1 teaspoon of thyme
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
- Rinse the rice in cold water to remove excess starch and drain.
- In a pot or large saucepan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and minced garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the curry powder and thyme to the pot and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Pour in the coconut milk and water and stir to combine. Add the salt, black pepper, and whole scotch bonnet pepper (if using) and stir to combine.
- Add the rinsed rice to the pot and stir to combine with the coconut milk mixture.
- Increase the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the rice is tender and all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let it sit for 5-10 minutes to allow the rice to absorb any remaining moisture.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and remove the scotch bonnet pepper (if used). Sprinkle chopped cilantro over the top and serve hot.
Enjoy your delicious Nigerian Coconut Rice!