Nigerian Egg Roll Recipe
Nigerian Egg roll is a healthy Nigerian snack similar to scotch egg but instead of sausage meat, flour dough is used to wrap the boiled egg.
It is not the same thing as the regular Chinese egg roll which is elongated and looks more like spring rolls.
The Nigerian egg roll gets its circular shape from the boiled egg used in making it. Here’s an easy recipe for you…Enjoy!
• 10 eggs
• 4½ cup wheat flour (all-purpose flour)
• ½ cup sugar
• 4 tbsp. margarine, Butter
• ½ tsp. baking powder
• 1 tsp. mixed spices
• Pinch of salt
• 1 cup warm water
• Vegetable/Soya oil (for deep frying)
1.In a medium sized pot, boil the eggs for about 10mins till hard boiled. Once cooked and while hot, place the hard boiled eggs in cold water. This is to ensure the shell comes off easily.
2. Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, mixed spices (if you are using) and salt into an empty bowl. Mix thoroughly then add the margarine/butter. Work into it with the tip of your hand till it looks crumbly like breadcrumbs.
3. Make a well in the center and gently add water little by little. Work into it some more till you get a Smooth non-sticky elastic dough. Divide it into 10 and roll the divided dough into balls
4. Dust your flat working surface with flour and roll out each dough. Wrap each dough around each egg and roll into balls.
5: Pre-Heat your vegetable oil in a deep fryer or pot and fry the egg rolls till golden brown. To ensure it cooks well on the inside, reduce the temperature of the burner once you drop the egg rolls into the oil.
6: Remove from the oil and drain on a paper towel. Serve!