Oreo-Bottom Double Chocolate Cake Recipe
Chocolate chip cookies, chocolate cookies, malted chocolate balls, dark chocolate chips, strong coffee… these are a few of my favorite things. These delicious things were added to this recipe to bake this dark, rich, moist chocolate cake. Chocolate cake makes me so happy, I totally enjoyed baking and eating this cake with a cup of piping hot black coffee. Cleanup was a breeze; I licked the bowl very clean. Plus, what better way to bond with the kids this long holiday, than getting messy in the kitchen with this recipe. Fun times.
250g butter (salted or unsalted)
2 cups, granulated sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 ½ cups, buttermilk
2 tablespoons vanilla essence
½ cup, instant coffee, dissolved
1 ½ cups baking cocoa
1½ cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon baking soda
½ cup crushed chocolate chip cookies
½ cup malted chocolate balls
½ cup milk chocolate chips
2 packets Oreo cookies
Cake hack: to make your own buttermilk, add 2 tablespoons of white vinegar to 1½ cups, milk and allow to sit, while preparing cake.
Difficulty level: easy
Total baking time: 45 minutes.
- Sift flour with cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- Grease and dust two 9-inch round cake pans, line with baking paper.
- Preheat your oven to 150°C-160° (300°F-320°F) or gas mark 2-3.
- Add butter and vanilla essence into mixing bowl.
- Cream together this mixture for 5 minutes on high speed, pausing at intervals to scrape down the sides. Gently pour in sugar. Allow to cream for 10 minutes or till mixture is pale white.
- Add eggs to creamed mixture, with mixer still running.
- At this stage, detach your bowl from the mixer and pick up your spatula.
- Divide your flour into 3 unequal parts.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the milk, mixing thoroughly after each addition, and ending with flour.
- Add instant coffee. Mix.
- Now, add the crushed cookies, chocolate balls and chocolate chips to the batter. Mix properly.
- Crush Oreo cookies and line in prepared pan. Pour batter into the pan.
- Place in the center of your preheated oven, and allow to bake for approximately 35 minutes.
- Your cakes are done when they are springy to the touch when pressed in the middle, or when a clean toothpick comes out dry when inserted in the middle.
- Remove from oven, leave in pan for 5 minutes, then remove from pan, peel off baking paper and leave to cool completely.
- Serve with coffee, or ice cream.