Plantain And Egg Frittata Breakfast Recipe
Talk about an easy breakfast recipe and the first thing that comes to mind is my Baked Plantain and Egg Frittata recipe.
There are many reasons why I love it but the most important of all is that it is made up of a combination of two of my favourite foods in the world, fried plantain and eggs.
Perfect for both kids and adults and is also an ideal make-ahead-meal. All you do is prepare a large quantity, cut in big cubes, wrap with foil paper and place in the refrigerator for as long as a week…I do this a lot and it always comes in very handy in the morning when I do not have enough time to make breakfast before leaving for work.
Heres a quick and simple recipe you could try:
- 3 ripe plantains
- 3 table spoons olive oil
- ½ medium onion, thinly sliced
- ½ medium red bell pepper, cut in strips
- ½ medium green bell pepper, cut in strips
- ½ medium yellow bell pepper, cut in strips
- 3 garlic cloves
- ¼ teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme
- 1 seasoning cube
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup chopped sausage
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil for frying the plantain
- Heat up 2 cups of vegetable oil in a frying pan.
- Wash ripe plantain thoroughly and peel off the skin . In a mixing bowl, cut the plantain into preferred shape and size, sprinkle salt to taste and mix thoroughly to combine.
- Next gently drop plantain piece after piece into the hot oil but be careful not to over crowd the pan so the temperature of the oil doesn’t drop. Fry on both sides for 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned. Set aside.Plantain in hot
- In a skillet, heat up olive oil on medium heat. Sauté onions and garlic for 1 minute.
Next add curry powder, thyme, seasoning cube, ground pepper, sausage and salt to taste. Stir and leave to cook for another 3 minutes on medium heat.
- Finally add bell peppers, stir and allow to simmer for 2 minutes, then take off heat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs and add sautéed vegetables, season with salt and pepper if necessary. Stir to combine all ingredients.
- Pour mixture into a 10-inch greased baking pan or casserole dish. You can grease your pan with cooking spray or melted butter. Lay the fried plantain gently on top of the egg mixture.
- Layered up and ready to go into the oven. I garnished with some bell peppers to give it a pop of colour.
- Bake in a 350 degree F pre-heated oven for about 25-30 minutes or until mixture is firm in the center. After baking, let it cool for few minutes before serving.