Recipe: Easy-To-Make Watermelon Sorbet
It’s watermelon day. Comprising of more than 90 water, this fruit is a favourite food of children and adults all over the world. With every bite comes a burst of flavour and it can be eaten all year round. Watermelon has significant levels of vitamins A, B6 and C, lycopene, antioxidants, amino acids, and even potassium. It is fat-free, very low in sodium and has only 40 calories per cup. Watermelon is great in fruit salads, frosted with whipped cream and eaten with other berries, made into a smoothie, put on sticks and iced as watermelon popsicles, and so on. The choices are endless. With all the benefits attached to eating (or drinking, thanks to Beyonce) watermelon, it is only right for this special fruit to have its own special day.
Celebrate today with this easy-to-make watermelon sorbet.
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 cups chopped watermelon
- 1/4 cup lime juice
How To Make It
1. Mix sugar and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and chill.
2. Blend sugar syrup with water melon.
3. Stir in lime juice.
4. Freeze in an ice-cream maker following manufacturer’s instructions.
5. Serve, or pack into an airtight container and store in the freezer.