The Only Basic Margarita Recipe You Need
The Margarita is one of the most popular cocktails you will come across, and it is pretty easy to make. This cocktail combines the sweetness of orange liqueur, the tang of lime and the right amount of strong tequila to get your weekend started.
As you’d expect with popular cocktail recipes, there are debates over whether to use salt, if you should blend or freeze, or what orange liqueur to use.
In our opinion, however, this recipe for the best margarita is one to trust if you want to impress everyone, including yourself, with your grandmaster bartending skills.
What you’ll need
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 1/3 cup orange liqueur of your choice like Cointreau or Triple Sec
- 1/4 cup freshly-squeezed lime juice.
- 1 tbsp agave syrup – optional
- Kosher salt – optional
- Cocktail glass
- Lime wheel – to garnish
How to make
- Spread out some salt on a flat plate. Rub the rim of your cocktail glass with a spent lime wedge and place the rim in the salt. Ice your glass.
- Fill a shaker with ice.
- Pour in tequila, orange liqueur and lime juice to the shaker and shake vigorously. Add agave syrup if you want a slightly sweeter drink.
- Strain into the chilled cocktail glass or a rocks glass filled with fresh ice.
- Garnish with a lime wheel.