How To Make The Tasty French Onion Soup
French Onion Soup is essentially caramelised onion in soup form topped with cheesy bread.
- 5 – 6 large
- Yellow onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 6 cups of beef stock (or veggie stock)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- Fine sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper, to taste
- Grated or sliced cheese
- Caramelise the onions. In a large heavy-bottomed stockpot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté until well for about 30 minutes until caramelised (but not burnt), initially stirring every 3-5 minutes, then about once a minute near the end of caramelisation to prevent burning. Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
Stir in the flour and cook for an additional 1 minute. Stir in the wine to deglaze the pan, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Simmer the soup. Add the stock, Worcestershire, bay leaf, and thyme and stir to combine. Continue to cook until the soup reaches a simmer. Then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for at least 10 minutes. Discard the bay leaf and sprigs of thyme. Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Toast the bread. Preheat oven to 400°F. While the soup is simmering, slice the baguette into 1-inch thick pieces and arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 6-8 minutes, until the bread is toasted and golden around the edges.
Remove and set aside.
- Broil the topping. Switch the oven to the broiler. Once the soup is ready to serve, place your oven-safe bowls on a thick baking sheet.
Ladle the soup into each bowl, then top with a baguette slice and your desired amount of cheese. Place on an oven rack about 6 inches from the heat and broil for 2-4 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. (Keep a close eye on them so that they do not burn.)
Remove from the oven and serve immediately while the soup is hot and bubbly.
Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421