How To Make Zobo The Nigerian Way
A very popular Nigerian drink, zobo, is made from Roselle (Hibiscus sabdariffa).
Asides from being the perfect drink for hot days, zobo is a highly nutritious drink with tremendous benefits for the body. These health benefits include strengthening the immune system, improving digestion and heart health. A fan favourite among zobo’s health benefits is its fertility benefit.
Thinking of enjoying a glass of zobo today? Here’s a simple recipe to help you make one right in your kitchen.
- Zobo Leaves
- Garlic Cloves
- Ginger Root
- Start by washing and peeling the pineapple before slicing it into small bits in a bowl.
- Next, properly wash the zobo leaves several times to remove dirt and dust. You might notice some of the purple colour run, but that shouldn’t be a cause for concern.
- Place the washed leaves into a pot, add some water and boil on medium heat.
- Add pineapple, garlic and ginger and leave to boil for about 25 minutes.
- Strain the liquid using a sieve and add honey to taste, making sure to stir.
- Refrigerate and serve cold.
Note: To maintain the nutritional benefits of the zobo leaf, it’s best to not use artificial sweeteners.