How To Prepare Delicious Ofe Owere
Ofe Owere is a local delicacy common to Owerri, Imo state. It is a delicious meal prepared with a blend of natural herbs, dried seeds, assorted meat, and fish. It is quite expensive to prepare because of the assorted meat ingredients used to prepare it.
- 1.5kg assorted meat
- 6-15 snails
- 2 dry fish [medium sizes]
- Stockfish head [medium size]
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup, sliced uziza leaves
- 4 cups, sliced fluted pumpkin leaves
- 6 tbsp, crayfish
- 3 cubes, seasoning
- 2 gm, mashed cocoyam
- 1 cup of palm oil
- 1 tbsp, ogiri [traditional seasoning made from melon]
- Salt to taste.
- Wash the assorted meat thoroughly, add salt, onions and one cube seasoning and steam till it’s tender and set aside.
- Debone and wash the Dried fish and stockfish.
- Add 3 cups of water to the meat, add dried fish, stockfish, crayfish and boil for 10 minutes.
- Add the palm oil, one cube of seasoning and the snail and boil for 10 minutes.
- Add a cube of seasoning, pepper, and salt to taste.
- Add the mashed cocoyam and allow to boil and dissolve for 10 minutes. Add the ukazi leaves and allow to simmer for four minutes and then add the fluted pumpkin leaves and simmer for two minutes.
- Serve with akpu or pounded yam.