Learn How To Make Finger-licking Egusi Soup
Egusi (Melon) soup is one of Nigeria’s most popular dishes. Eaten by all tribes and loved by foreigners, Egusi is one of your best bets if you are looking for a finger-licking dish.
· 1 cup of Egusi (ground)
· 1 cup of palm oil
· 1 cup crayfish
· 2 seasoning cubes
· Fresh meat/fish or preferred protein (Seasoned and boiled)
· Meat Stock
· 1/2 cup onion-chopped
· 1 teaspoon of dried pepper
· 1 cup of leafy vegetables (my preferred vegetables for egusi is oziza and okazi)
1. Place palm oil in a pot and heat for about 1 minute (Please, do not bleach)
2. Add the onions to the palm oil and fry for 2 minutes.
3. Add your ground Egusi to the palm oil and let it fry for 3 to 4 minutes, stir from time to time so it doesn’t burn. This should take about 8 minutes in total.
4. Add a teaspoon of crayfish and stir then add the cooked meat, stockfish, dried fish and meat stock. Add the remaining crayfish, seasoning cube, pepper then add very little water. Stir well and taste for seasoning.
5. Let all the ingredients simmer together for about 5 minutes.
6. Add the vegetables (Ugu or Oziza and Okazi) and let them cook in for about 1 minute.
7. Turn off the heat, serve your egusi as desired.