Man Dies Four Years After Eating Sandwich Poisoned By His Colleague
Sometimes you go to work with the sole aim of making your money and going back home to plan your life again. However, this is not the case for the 22-year-old German man that ate Sandwich mixed with Mercury by his colleague.
He has been in Coma for four years and his death was confirmed on Thursday by the state court in Bielefeld, which convicted the suspect in the case last year, which makes him 26-year-old as at the time of his death.
The person who committed the crime is a 57-year-old man, identified only as Klaus O. for privacy reasons, was sentenced to life in prison last March after the court found him guilty of attempted murder.
The defendant, who has appealed against the verdict, had peppered co-workers’ food with mercury and other substances over several years, leaving one in a coma and two others with serious kidney damage.
He was arrested in May 2018 after surveillance video showed him putting a suspicious powder on a colleague’s sandwich at their workplace in the town of Schloss Holte-Stukenbrock.
Exposure to mercury can cause a number of health issues including skin, neurological and kidney problems.
Most exposure comes from eating fish, coal and gold mining, or dental fillings.
The reason for doing this is yet to be known.
Get the latest news delivered straight to your inbox every day of the week. Stay informed with the Guardian’s leading coverage of Nigerian and world news, business, technology and sports.