Pawpaw Soup- A Special Tiv Delicacy
The pawpaw soup is a special and popular soup amongst the Tiv speaking tribe of Nigeria.
The Tiv tribe is one of the largest minority ethnic groups in Nigeria with a population of nearly six million people residing in the middle belt states of Nigeria like Benue, Taraba, Nasarawa and Plateau.
Some of the numerous health benefits of pawpaw include; its ability to reduce free radicals that contribute to cancer development and progression, thereby making it beneficial for cancer treatment and also to reduce cancer risk, it reduces the risk of heart disease, it also gives your skin a more youthful and toned look.
You can eat it for lunch or dinner all year round.
- 3 Medium sized dry fish
- 1 Cup of grounded egusi
- 1 Cup dry pawpaw flakes
- 2 Cooking spoons of palm oil
- 5 Medium chilli peppers
- 4 Knorr seasoning cubes
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tbs of locust beans
- Wash the beef, place in a pot then add 1cube of Knorr, sliced onions and salt to taste. Add water and allow to boil for about 25minutes.
- Soak the dry pawpaw flakes in a cold bowl of water and allow to rise.
- Soak the dry fish in a warm bowl of water then rinse and remove the bones after about 3minutes
- In another bowl, make a thick paste with the egusi and leave to rise
- After the beef is cooked, remove from the fire and allow it cool for a bit
- In another pot, mix some water, beef, beef stock, palm oil, ground fresh chilli pepper, Knorr seasoning, salt and locust beans. Allow boiling for about 10minutes then add egusi paste to the pot and cover again without stirring
- Add the dry fish after another 10minutes, then stir gently after 5mins
- Finally, add the pawpaw flakes, then cover and allow to simmer for 15mins
Your pawpaw soup is ready and can now be served hot with either Pounded Yam, Semovita, Eba or Fufu.