Traditional Way To Prepare Rice
Rice is a grain that can be prepared in different ways. In a typical Nigerian party, if not served, the party is said to be poorly done.
The conventional recipes served are cooked rice with tomato stew, jollof rice and fried rice. A different and easy way to prepare rice is with palm oil instead of the vegetable oil and tomatoes used for jollof rice and this is called the concoction rice.
Here are the simple ingredients required.
- 500g rice
- 2 cooking spoons red palm oil
- 1 medium smoked fish
- 1 big onion
- 3 tbsp ground crayfish
- 2 seasoning cubes
- 1 small ogiri
- Pepper and salt
- Scent leaves (Basil)
- Parboil rice, wash, drain water and set aside.
- In a pot, add the stockfish and add onions, salt and pepper and water and cook until the stockfish is soft.
- Remove the stockfish and set aside.
- Add the pepper, ground crayfish and palm oil.
- Check the level of water and add if the water is dry.
- Cook for an additional 5-7 minutes in high heat until the ingredients are well blended.
- Add the drained parboiled rice, stir very well and check that the liquid is on the same level as the rice. Add more water if it is letter.
- Add the smoked fish to the rice.
- Cook on medium heat to ensure the rice does not burn. Taste to check if the rice is well cooked.
- Add more water if not well cooked yet.
- Keep cooking till done.
- Then add the scent leaves, place the lid and set aside for 5 minutes and stir.
- Serve alone with any other treats like fried plantain or moi moi.