Thursday, 29th September 2022
<To guardian.ng
Search
Breaking News:

At least eight civilians killed in Mogadishu hotel attack

At least eight people were confirmed dead on Saturday as security forces battled Islamist militants who stormed a hotel in the Somali capital Mogadishu, a security commander said.

Security forces patrol near the Hayat Hotel after an attack by Al-Shabaab fighters in Mogadishu on August 20, 2022. – Al-Shabaab fighters attacked a hotel in the Somali capital Mogadishu in a hail of gunfire and explosions on August 19, 2022, with casualties reported, security sources and witnesses said. The assault on the Hayat Hotel triggered a fierce gunfight between security forces and gunmen from the jihadist group who are still holed up inside the building, security official Abdukadir Hassan told AFP. (Photo by Hassan Ali ELMI / AFP)

At least eight people were confirmed dead on Saturday as security forces battled Islamist militants who stormed a hotel in the Somali capital Mogadishu, a security commander said.

“The security forces continued to neutralise terrorists who have been cordoned inside a room in the hotel building, most of the people were rescued but at least eight civilians were confirmed dead so far,” said the official, Mohamed Abdikadir.