The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Boko Haram insurgents attack power infrastructure in Borno

Related

The Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) has confirmed an attack on the 330/132V transmission substation at Molai in Maiduguri, Borno State by Boko Haram insurgents.

Its General Manager Public Affairs, Ndidi Mbah, who made the confirmation yesterday in Abuja, stated that the violence took place on May 7 at about 5:30pm

The development may have, however, added a new twist to the security situation in the region, considering that the terrorists had in the past destroyed electricity installations reportedly worth over N1 billion.

In a statement, Mbah said two Post Isolators Porcelain units in the substation were affected, adding that the cracks on the affected transmission apparatus were, however, not too deep to affect supply to the substation.

According to her, the insurgents stole a company van, destroyed two others and a vehicle belonging to a staff member.

Also destroyed were a truck, computer, monitor and printer in the transmission control room.

She said the windows of the control room and staff house were also crushed by gunshots.

The spokesperson said the operator on duty did exceptionally well by opening the transmission lines and shutting down the station just before the insurgents arrived.

She said the company restored power to the area on Wednesday after engineers carried out thorough checks on the facility.

The substation, which was completed and energised on October 25, 2018 but commissioned on February 13, 2019, has 150MVA and 60MVA power transformers that feed Yola Disco customers in Maiduguri and environs.

In a related development, President Muhammadu Buhari yesterday met with service chiefs over proliferation of small arms, kidnapping and other security issues plaguing parts of the country.

He had on Tuesday held a similar meeting with security chiefs at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

During yesterday’s meeting, the president directed the heads of the security agencies to ensure that Nigerians go to bed with both eyes closed.

Briefing State House Correspondents after the gathering, the Chief of the Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ekwe Ibas, who acknowledged a drop in the heightened insecurity nationwide, stated that they received specific instructions to reverse the unenviable situation.

He disclosed that the key suspects in the abduction of the Daura district head had been arrested and would be prosecuted.


Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet