The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Death toll in Cuba tornado rises to six

Related

A woman carries belongings during evacuation in the tornado-hit Luyano neighborhood in Havana early on January 28, 2019. – A rare and powerful tornado that struck Havana killed three people and left 172 injured, Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel said early Monday. (Photo by YAMIL LAGE / AFP)

The number of people killed in the powerful tornado that ripped through part of Havana last week has risen to six, authorities said Sunday.

Public Health Minister Jose Angel Portal Miranda said in state media that “sadly, two people have died among the 13 who were in critical condition.” The earlier death toll was four.

The storm which hit Havana area towns including Regla, Guanabacoa, San Miguel de Padron and 10 de octubre late January 27, has been confirmed as a F4 storm, with F5 the strongest.

Its powerful winds overturned trees and homes and cars, and several areas a number of blocks wide were all but wiped off the map.


In this article:
CubaHavanaTornado
Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet