Emefiele debunks ‘sack’ rumour
The Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Godwin Emefiele, has dismissed claims that he had been asked to resign from office by Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari.
“I am confused and concerned about some stories going around. At least you can see me and you have seen my work. My tenure expires in June and at least let’s continue,” Emefiele told journalist during a textile industry stakeholders in Abuja on Tuesday.
There were reports that the Federal Government had asked him to proceed on leave, three months before the expiration of his five-year tenure.
Emefiele said even after he exits his role as governor, the policies and intervention programmes of the Central Bank will continue since they are for the good of the country.
“The intervention programmes of the Central Bank of Nigeria has been on since 1978 and it has moved from governor to another governor and I am very optimistic that even if another governor comes, no right-thinking person will abandon an initiative that is laudable and meant to create jobs for the good of our country,” he added.
The CBN governor was appointed since June 3, 2014. After the expiration of his five-year tenure, his appointment can be renewed if the president wishes to.
As part of the efforts to encourage the development of Nigeria’s textile industry, Emefiele announced a restriction of foreign exchange on importers of textile materials with immediate effect.
No comments yet