The controversy surrounding the 2002 killing of former Onitsha branch Chairman of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), Barnabas Igwe, and his pregnant wife, Abigail, has resurfaced, with a security expert, Deji Adesogan, backing calls for the Anambra State Government to reopen the case and ensure that all those implicated face due process.
Adesogan’s position aligns with that of former Chairman of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), Prof Chidi Odinkalu, who recently questioned the appointment of Ken Emeakayi as Special Adviser on Security to Governor Chukwuma Soludo despite his alleged connection to the killings.
Odinkalu, who chaired the Anambra State Truth, Justice and Peace Commission, said the commission investigated the Igwes’ murder and recommended that the case be reopened and those implicated brought to account.
The Igwes were killed on September 1, 2002, in Onitsha after returning from an NBA conference in Ibadan. Barnabas, a prominent lawyer and outspoken critic of the administration of former Governor Chinwoke Mbadinuju, had reportedly received threats before his death.
Human Rights Watch had reported that the couple were attacked while travelling in Onitsha. The assailants reportedly used weapons and ran over the victims with their vehicle. Abigail was pregnant at the time.
According to Odinkalu, the commission’s investigation linked Emeakayi to the operation and established that the broader operation involved elements of the Bakassi Boys security formation that operated in Anambra at the time.
He said Emeakayi had previously been arrested and detained around 2006 in connection with the murder charge, but the case did not reach a definitive conclusion following the removal of the judge handling the matter and a subsequent prison break in which Emeakayi was freed.
Odinkalu said the commission revisited the case because the circumstances surrounding the earlier prosecution remained unresolved.
He said the commission submitted its report to Governor Soludo in March 2024 and recommended steps to ensure that Emeakayi and others allegedly involved were made to account for their actions.
Odinkalu expressed disappointment that Emeakayi was subsequently appointed the governor’s security adviser in October 2024, describing the appointment as a serious blot on the administration’s record.
Reacting to the development, Adesogan said the issue should not be treated merely as a political controversy, stressing that allegations of such gravity should trigger proper security and legal scrutiny.
“What is expected when appointing anyone into government is proper vetting through the DSS. If the governor fails to carry out vetting on one of his aides and later finds out that the person has been fingered in this kind of atrocity, what is expected of the governor is to ensure a quick dispensation of justice. He should ask such a person to step aside,” Adesogan said.
He argued that allowing an individual facing serious allegations connected to a high-profile killing to remain in a sensitive security position could damage not only the governor’s reputation but also the credibility of the state’s security architecture.
“The Anambra State governor should direct the Attorney-General of the state to look into the matter and bring it to a logical conclusion. He might also be innocent, but that should be determined after due diligence,” he said.
“Appointing a criminal into an official position is a threat to the internal security of the state. If a criminal is appointed, he or she will have the belief that more can be done. Others can also do the same because they think they can get away with crimes. So, the governor should look into it,” he added.
However, Adesogan stressed that the allegations should not be treated as a substitute for a judicial determination of guilt, insisting that Emeakayi must be given a fair hearing.
He also called on civil society organisations in Anambra State to demand transparency and accountability over the matter.
Meanwhile, Anambra State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Law Mefor, has criticised Odinkalu over his calls for accountability concerning Emeakayi’s appointment as Special Adviser on Security.
Mefor argued that Emeakayi had never been arrested, investigated, indicted or convicted over the deaths of the Igwes and that Governor Chukwuma Soludo lacked the authority to investigate or prosecute him.
He accused Odinkalu of prejudging Emeakayi’s guilt, questioning his motives and alleged interest in Anambra affairs.
Mefor also said Odinkalu had previously made allegations against Emeakayi but failed to appear before a state inquiry to substantiate them.
Follow Us on Google News
Follow Us on Google Discover