The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter

NLC holds rally in Kaduna tomorrow against sacking of workers

Related

Ayuba Wabba

• Urges FG to end killings in Benue, others
• NUT’s strike disrupting learning, teaching, says SUBEB

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has said it would embark on protest against the sacking of workers in Kaduna State tomorrow.

President of NLC, Ayuba Wabba, said in Abuja yesterday that the NLC would give effect to its National Executive Council (NEC’s) decision to observe Thursday, January 11, 2018 as a day of solidarity with the Kaduna workers.

He stated that the congress would mobilise Nigerian workers to put pressure on the state government to reinstate the sacked workers or face a permanent showdown with the Kaduna State government.

His words: “We wish to once again draw the attention of the Presidency and Nigerians in general to the ongoing draconian leadership of the Kaduna State Government under Governor Nasir el-Rufai.

“El-Rufai sacked over 22,000 primary school teachers last year with the excuse that they failed to pass assessment tests that was not even conducted by authorised teaching regulatory body. He also sacked over 4,500 local council employees in the state.”

Wabba said in spite of the counsel of well-meaning Nigerians and protests from the NLC, el-Rufai had remained adamant on the issue of the sacked workers.

He also noted that the governor refused to heed an injunction from the National Industrial Court (NIC), which ruled that the status quo be maintained until the determination of the substantive suit brought before it by the dismissed workers and their unions.

“On Friday, December 29, 2017, el-Rufai authorised Education Secretaries and relevant local council authorities to commence the distribution of sack letters to teachers and council workers in the 23 local councils of the state beginning from Tuesday, January 2, 2018.

“With his disregard for the rule of law and decency, Congress is left with no other option than to use all legitimate means to challenge the crass impunity and despotism being displayed by Governor el-Rufai,” he said.

The NLC also charged the Federal Government to stop the serial killings in Benue, Kaduna, Adamawa, Nasarawa and other states of the country, adding that the mass murders have continued unabated as if all security apparatuses in the country were helpless.

Meanwhile, the Kaduna State Universal Basic Education (SUBEB) has accused the Nigerian Union of Teachers (NUT) of disrupting teaching and learning in primary and secondary schools in the state.

A permanent member of SUBEB, Shehu Sani Othman, who addressed newsmen yesterday in Kaduna, said the visit of education secretaries to schools showed that the teachers willingly resumed work but were dispersed by members of the union.



No Comments yet