NUJ blacklists Bauchi APC youths over attack on secretariat
Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Bauchi State Council, has blacklisted activities of the All Progressives Congress (APC) youth wing in the state due to an attack on its secretariat.
Hoodlums had yesterday morning attacked the secretariat, in a bid to disrupt a press conference.
The thugs had trooped into the Press Centre about 10.40 a.m. when some members of the APC were addressing journalists. Thugs were seen dragging cameras from journalists and hurling chairs at attendees. Two journalists were injured in the melee.
The Guardian learnt that the APC members that convened the briefing wanted the State Working Committee (SWC) dissolved, since the chairman of the party, Uba Nana, had been appointed as chairman, governing council of a university in the North.
One of the conveners alleged that Nana must have sent the thugs to attack them.
But Nana said he had no knowledge of the incident, but promised to react properly later.
It took the presence of the police to calm the situation.
Secretary of Bauchi NUJ, Isah Gadau, said: “The council has banned the media coverage of all activities of the youth wing of APC in Bauchi.
“This followed the disruption of a press conference organised by the APC Consultative Forum on Thursday, July 16, 2020, at the NUJ Secretariat by some youths believed to be from APC, in which some members of the union are injured and some working tools destroyed.”
The council, therefore, called on security agencies to fish out the perpetrators of the unfortunate act for prosecution and commended the police for their prompt response.
It called on its members to go about their normal duties, as necessary steps were being taken for their security, integrity and that of the union.
No comments yet