Ondo suspends activities in forest reserves
The Ondo State Government has suspended activities in the state forest reserves, including free areas, with immediate effect.
The state’s Commissioner for Information and Orientation, Donald Ojogo, said the suspension was part of the far-reaching decisions made at the State Executive Council meeting yesterday.
He said that in line with the resolution of the Southern Governors’ Forum at its last meeting in Lagos, the Ondo State Governor, Oluwarotimi Akeredolu, will today, August 31, sign the Anti-Open Grazing Bill into law.
Ojogo disclosed that the State Security Network, code-named Amotekun Corps, had been directed to enforce the decision, adding that anyone found engaging in any activity at the state forest reserves will be made to face the full extent of the law.
The government spokesperson further explained that the Head of Service had been directed to restructure the Ministry of Natural Resources to make it work in tandem with the expectation of the government and serve the interest of the people.
“The council has directed the Head of Service to embark on administrative overhaul at the Ministry of Natural Resources. We observe that some interested persons have turned the reserves into their private resources. Government has suspended all activities in the forest. There are no more free areas. Amotekun has been mandated to carry out the enforcement,” he said.
Ojogo said the state government would soon set up a committee to deal with the issue of the activities in the forest reserves.
No comments yet