Oni berates police over shooting in Ekiti
The governorship candidate of the Social Democratic Party (SDP) in Ekiti State, Chief Segun Oni, has berated the state police command over its poor handling of the violence and mass shooting at the inauguration of the campaign of the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, Biodun Oyebanji, on Tuesday in Ado-Ekiti.
The SDP candidate expressed shock that more than 24 hours after the criminal and barbaric act of the thugs, no statement of arrest of the perpetrators had been made.
Oni, who spoke through his spokesman and chairman of the campaign media team, Moses Jolayemi, said: “We have been waiting to hear a statement of arrest from the police in the last 24 hours but none has been issued. We are afraid that this barbaric show of violence may be swept under the carpet.”
He warned against giving citizens the latitude to resort to self-help to defend themselves. Oni, therefore, urged the Commissioner of Police, Mr. Morenikeji Adesina, to do the needful and retain the confidence of the people that the police are capable of securing and defending them. against the onslaught of thugs and marauders in the state.
Oni said: “We will continue to preach peace but certainly not at the detriment of the people’s life and property.”