Thursday, 29th September 2022
<To guardian.ng
Search
Breaking News:

‘Over 14, 809 suspected terrorists to be prosecuted in Northeast’

By Njadvara Musa, Maiduguri
31 July 2022   |   3:33 am
No fewer than 14, 809 suspected insurgents are to be prosecuted for terrorism and other criminal activities in the Northeast.
Boko Haram

Boko Haram

No fewer than 14, 809 suspected insurgents are to be prosecuted for terrorism and other criminal activities in the Northeast.

Unveiling the prosecution, on Friday, in Maiduguri, the Theatre Commander, Operation Hadin Kai (OPHK), Maj-Gen. Christopher Musa, disclosed that 70,593 persons, comprising Boko Haram and Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) terrorists and their families had surrendered to the Army.”

He said out of the surrendered ones, over 14,800 arrested suspects were, however, active terrorists, while 20,955 were women with 35, 209 children.

The commander said some of detained terrorists were cleared by the Theatre Command in conjunction with the Office of the Attorney-General of the Federation.

He said: “We’ve begun the review of the cases of detainees at the joint investigation centre. The cleared suspects have been handed over to the Borno State government and United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF).”
He continued: “On July 13, 2022, Haruna Fulani and Usman, suspected suppliers of logistics to Commander Adamu Ngulde at the Mandara Mountains in Gwoza Local Council were arrested. Items recovered from them included 13 bales of wrappers, 15 yards of black curtain clothes, under-wears and 25 pairs of rubber shoes.”

He said since the inception of the Operation Desert Sanity, the terrorists had been degraded to the point that they could no longer carry out successful combat operations.

He said the terrorists were mainly looking for food and logistics, adding that as a result of the troop’s sustainable operations, “many terrorists were neutralised during the clearance the recent clearance operations.”

“The insurgents have continued to relocate from one enclave to another, seeking alternative hideouts and temporary shelter. The rainy season has also pushed them out of their comfort zones,” he said.

He, therefore, called on the Multi-national Joint Task Force (MNJTF), the air and maritime components, paramilitary establishments, humanitarian agencies, local communities and the media to provide the much-needed support to end the war.

“Troops have conducted several operations on land, air and maritime, including patrols and clearance operations with 60 terrorists neutralised,” he added

He also said over 120 suspected terrorists were arrested along with their logistic supporters and informants.

“The rescued three Chibok girls and their four children were also handed over to the Borno State government.

“Hanatu Musa, 26, Kauna Luka, 38 and Ruth Bitrus were rescued by the Army on June 27 and July 25, 2022 in the forest after spending eight years in Boko Haram captivity,” he said.

In this article