The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Russian investigators confirm metro bomber as Akbarjon Djalilov

Related

A man looks at a computer screen displaying a news report with a photograph of suspect in the April 3 blast Akbarjon Djalilov on April 4, 2017 in Moscow. Russia’s Investigative Committee on April 4 named the attacker behind Saint Petersburg metro blast as Akbarjon Djalilov, adding that he had also planted a second bomb that was defused by the authorities. / AFP PHOTO / –

Russian investigators on Tuesday named the bomber behind the Saint Petersburg metro blast as Akbarjon Djalilov, adding that he had also planted a second bomb that was defused by the authorities.

“The investigation identified the man who set off the bomb in the carriage of the Saint Petersburg metro. It was Akbarjon Djalilov,” a statement by the Investigative Committee said.

The investigators’ statement added that traces of DNA from Djalilov, 22, were also found on a bag with a second explosive device that was discovered at another metro station shortly before the blast in the tunnel that killed 14 people.

“The conclusion of genetic evaluation and footage from surveillance cameras enable the investigation to conclude that the man who carried out the act of terror on the carriage was the one who left the bag with the explosive device in the Vosstaniya Square station,” it said.

Investigators gave no further details on Djalilov but his name and year of birth coincided with a statement from the Kyrgyz security services which said earlier Tuesday that he was a naturalised Russian citizen originally from Kyrgyzstan.

Investigators said earlier that remains of the carriage bomber were found at the scene of the blast, but it was not clear if he is included in the official toll of the attack.


Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet