South East Coalition: attack on Ubah shows national security architecture collapse
…cries out over lack of capacity by security agencies
…says attack meant to paint Igbo in bad light
Members of an indigenous South East coalition have condemned Sunday’s gruesome attack on the convoy of Senator representing Anambra South Senatorial District, Ifeanyi Ubah, saying the development was a sponsored assassination attempt on the philanthropist’s life.
While thanking God for sparing the life of Ubah, who was said to have escaped in a bullet-ridden vehicle, the group commiserated with the families, the government of Anambra State, as well as the police command, over the death of some policemen and aides of the traumatised former Governorship candidate of the Young Peoples Party (YPP) in last year’s gubernatorial election.
Ubah’s convoy came under a deadly attack by assailants at the Enugwu-Ukwu community in Njikoka Local Government Area of Anambra State.
Confirming the fatal incident, the spokesperson for the state police command, DSP Toochukwu Ikenga,, said: “The Commissioner of Police Anambra State Command, CP Echeng Echeng, has today(Sunday), led police operatives to the scene where sporadic shootings took place in Enugu-Ukwu.
“Though the details of the incident are still sketchy, operatives are on the ground there as operations are going on and the situation is being monitored. Further details shall be communicated please.”
Reacting, the Coalition of South East Professionals Network in Nigeria and Diaspora (CSEPNND) described the development as “yet another sponsored, barbaric, and senseless attack”.
In a statement, Monday, by its National President, Prof. Madumere Chika, and National Secretary, Mazi Anayo Uchemba, the coalition claimed that the assassination attempt, just like many other attacks across the South East geo-political zone, is perpetrated by enemies of Ndigbo, whose ultimate mission is to give a dog a bad name and hang it.
Besides, the CSEPNND maintained that the provocative action signposted the collapse of the nation’s security architecture which, in turn, has rubbed off on the capacity of security operatives to tackle crime and criminality frontally.
“We watch every day as our security operatives demonstrate disgraceful lack of capacity to prevent crime, as well as battle criminal elements, referred to as “unknown gunmen.
“We note, with concern, that this attack on Senator Ubah may just be a dress rehearsal of what to expect in the coming weeks and months leading to the much-anticipated 2023 general elections”, the statement read in part.
The group has, however, reiterated its earlier call for the total overhaul of the national security architecture, as a condition precedent to the taming of insecurity in the country.
To achieve this, the coalition said all the security chiefs, including the National Security Adviser (NSA), Major General Mohammed Babagana Monguno (retd), must be shown the way out, to pave the way for the appointment of committed officers with fresh ideas on security management.
The statement reads: “We strongly condemn yet another sponsored, barbaric, senseless attack on the convoy of Senator Ifeanyi Ubah and entire people of South East which left several people dead including his security aides
“Our hearts go to the bereaved families, the government of Anambra State, as well as the state police command, over the fatal incident that led to the death of the Senator’s personal aides, and security details.
“Most of these attacks, which usually go unchallenged, are a clear demonstration of the ineffectiveness of our security agencies, and the complete collapse of our National intelligence.
“As Igbos, we believe this attack is targeted at giving the Igbo people a bad name just to hang them, but it will definitely fail because God is always with us.
“No true Igbo person will be this heartless and insensitive at this particular point when the entire country is doing everything possible to give the South East people a chance,
“This is a clear indication that some enemies of South East who are hell-bent on perpetually putting us down are responsible for such gruesome murder without any justification.
“In a serious country one of these attackers should have been arrested by now, but as usual it will be stories and condemnation until another one happens again”.
It continues: “We can’t continue like this, as our country is fast turning into a failed state where criminals have their way with any action from security agencies.
“Providing security is not rocket science that’s so difficult to do, all you need is to put in committed people with the right training, competence, and fear of God and the situation will be turned around in weeks.
“The honest truth is that as it stands today, Nigerians have lost confidence in our entire security architecture and there’s an urgent need for a total overhaul of our security architecture.
“Nigerians are so tired of rhetoric and promises on ending insecurity, all they want to see is a robust and urgent action which includes a total overhaul of the security architecture, the immediate sack Of National Security Adviser Maj Gen. Babagana Monguno Rtd and all the service chiefs and replace them with more effective officers with the zeal to work.
“Mr president should listen to Nigerians now so that he can redeem his legacy and hand over a secured nation to the next administration”.